Voter Registration Canvass Lead Job Description
Location: Houston, TX
Pay rate: $600/week, plus car and phone allowance
Pay schedule: Bi-weekly
Mi Familia Vota is a leading national civic engagement organization dedicated to empowerment and civic participation in the Latino community. MFV develops, coordinates, and implements sophisticated non-partisan field programs and strategies including citizenship promotion and assistance, voter registration, and voter education and mobilization. Through innovative voter registration methods, high impact trainings, and issue-based organizing, MFV builds Latino political power. Year-round, MFV engages with Latino communities around six issues: immigration, voting rights, the environment, worker’s rights, education, and healthcare.
Established in 2008, Mi Familia Vota is a 501 c(4) organization. We are headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, maintaining operations in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, and Texas.
Mi Familia Vota Education Fund is implementing a voter registration, education, and mobilization project for the 2018 elections. Voter Registration Canvass Lead will be responsible for managing daily canvassing operations in Latino communities with a team of 4 canvassers or more with the goal of encouraging Latinos to register to vote, participate in the 2018 elections and increase engagement in the Latino community. You will be expected to train and motivate your canvas team and provide proper reporting. Canvass Lead reports to the State Director or his or her designee.
- Direct and supervise canvass team during the performance of their daily responsibilities, as far as but not limited to:
- Canvass Latino communities in the county.
- Engage community members and voters around voter registration, voter education, and Get Out To Vote.
- Identify likely voters for the November 2018 elections.
- Increase Latino voter turnout through Get-Out-The-Vote tactics.
- Review canvassing report and enter results into a database.
- Cutting turf for daily door-to-door activities for their team (4 canvassers or more).
- Submitting nightly reports of doors knocked, contacts, and commitment cards.
- Confirming staff daily.
- Finish Tally Reports from previous night (weekly report updates).
- Welcome staffers and office set-up prior to staff arrival.
- Debrief with individual canvassers on daily basis.
- Organize literature and clipboards.
- Comply with the required reporting process, submitted to State Director or Designee
- Some campaign and/or field organizing experience.
- Experience using VAN and knowledge of Microsoft Word & Excel
- Current Harris County Volunteer Deputy Registrar card or eligible to become deputized
- Bilingual: Conversational in both English and Spanish
- Legible handwriting
- Reliable Vehicle.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Auto Insurance.
How to Apply
Email resume and brief letter of interest to: Carlosd@mifamiliavota.org.
Email-subject line should read “Voter Engagement Canvasser” or it may be overlooked. No phone calls please.
Visit our website at www.mifamiliavota.org for more information.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person holding this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. Mi Familia Vota / Mi Familia Vota Education Fund reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Mi Familia Vota, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.