Director of Development
Mi Familia Vota (501c4)/Mi Familia Vota Education Fund (501c3) are national non-profit organizations working to unite the Latino community and its allies to promote social and economic justice through increased civic participation. We do this by expanding the electorate through direct, sustainable citizenship, voter registration, GOTV and issue organizing in key states; forming and supporting key alliances at national, state and local levels to increase civic engagement; providing technical assistance and support to other organizations; and increasing public support for full civic participation in Latino and immigrant communities.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build Mi Familia Vota’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. Director of Development also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The Director of Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $15-21 million budget through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. She or he will expand and diversify Mi Familia Vota’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the Director will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by Mi Familia Vota will increase in future years as the Director of Development systematically and effectively strengthens the organization’s overall fundraising capacity.
- Support and partner with the ED and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with the Chief Financial Officer (COO) to develop and implement MFV’s financial strategy
- Actively work with the ED and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Oversee research of funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position MFV ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Identify, develop, and mentor the development team
- 5-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources); Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred
- Proven track record of raising funds from diverse sources, including major gifts from individuals, foundations, corporations and government agencies.
- Experience in donor cultivation, grant writing, and contracts management
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes and a results-oriented culture.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Mi Familia Vota
- High energy and passion for Mi Familia Vota’s mission is essential
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Familiarity with donor tracking systems
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Sound judgment, professionalism and a positive attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access. Highly proficient using accounting software.
- Experienced using technology including relational databases, internet research, social media
- Able to work weekends and long hours when necessary.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff and major projects or initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative leadership style.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Excels at operating in a fast pace, community environment
- Open to direction and collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done
Competitive salary will correlate with experience:
- We offer a generous benefits package to include
- Medical, Dental, & Vision,
- Generous vacation + sick time allotment
- Holidays 12 day per year
- Preferred applicants from Phoenix, AZ and Washington, DC. (will consider all applicants)
- MFV will entertain limited relocation reimbursement.
Deadline: Interested applicants are encouraged to apply early. We are very motivated to hire quickly.
Application Process: Please forward a cover letter describing your qualifications for this job and resume to email@example.com.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person holding this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. Mi Familia Vota / Mi Familia Vota Education Fund reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Mi Familia Vota, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.